Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Share a New Idea!

Its been awhile since the last post so please take a moment to comment on a new idea you have for using the Flip cameras in your class, or something that you have already used them for recently. Remember, this blog is for participants in our study to share, collaborate, and gain new insights!

22 comments:

  1. I used the camera to videotape a lesson for a student who was out for an extended period of time. The student was able to view my presentation, as well as listen to his peer's comments. Although the Flip camera I was given doesn't produce high quality footage, 3 other students used a larger Flip camera to produce their student films for Film Studies and the quality was better. I believe the Flip camera is useful for those "on-the-spot" shots or for a Facebook posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having some issues before trying to log on and post a comment. Oh well! I am going to be filming my ninth graders as they recite some of Shakespeare's most famous lines from Romeo and Juliet. I will be excited to see how it ends up. I will probably use this to showcase all the tings that can be done with the flim camera. I tried to get a class set from BOCES, but someone else snatched them up before me!! No worries! I will make it work...being flexible is what teaching is all about! Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not letting me post...trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, well as I stated three times before, I used my Flip Cam to give instructions for a center and it did not turn out as well as it did in my head. The children did not know how to rewind the camera or rewound it too far. Next time I think I will download it on the computer and have it there for them to open. Any other suggestions, remember they are 2nd grade and I think I forgot that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are having problems using the blog, please either call or email me. 1-800-836-7510 x3757 or cfita@onboces.org. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did use the Flip Camera to video student groups as they performed an excerpt from a play in their reading series. Was kind of fun to play it back for them and see how they did. Hope to incorporate the camera into a center in which students create an advertisement soliciting volunteers. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, great use of the Flip! Sorry about the class set, they are VERY popular. We might buy some more next year if we are still here...
    Sara, I can't wait to see the Shakespeare readings. Especially R & J!
    Renee, I think the Flip software is easy enough that 2nd graders could handle the editing. There is the scissor tool which they can cut out unwanted parts. Let them play around and see what their little techie minds can accomplish!
    Monica, good luck with the advertisements! Good idea to use the camera in a center since you only have the one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The camera is a great way to monitor reading progress for first graders. When focusing on reading with fluency and expression, the students are more than willing to keep trying until they think it is perfect. Also, great for parent conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One cool way to use the Flip is during peer editing sessions. The students can watch the footage and be reminded how wonderful their essays are - or where they need to strengthen a trait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used the Flip Camera with my English 9 class. We filmed each other reciting lines from Romeo and Juliet. The students were really excited to do it. Some of the students were shy. The movie turned out nice. They can't wait to use them for the Romeo and Juliet Movie Project we do at the end of the unit. I will keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used the camera a few times with a variety of classes: one time after students created and presented their ideas for a new society, post reading Lord of the Flies. These students weren't informed ahead of time that they would be videotaped and would award themselves a partial grade for the presentation. As far as taping, they had no objections. As far as grading, they felt a little uncomfortable with the thought they might not grade themselves as I would. (That's why I also gave the other part of the grade.)

    For my theatre class, my students were informed ahead of time that I would video them. They were quite excited about this prospect and they also knew they would be grading themselves. It, too, was a little hard for them. I think they really learned about the way they performed--as opposed to the way they thought they performed--and learned quite a lot from seeing themselves on camera.

    When I had a student teacher, she incorporated the camera into her lessons by creating a lesson where students wrote a commercial on altruism--part of the Bean Trees. It turned out well and the students loved the project.

    It has been nice to have the camera available everyday in the classroom. It would be even nicer to have a small set of these for classroom use because it would save time overall: students could videotape themselves for some projects and the entire class could view it (grading time) and enjoy it together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been experimenting with using the Flip to create stop motion movies. Here's a link to a post I wrote on how to create stop motion videos with your Flip - http://trunc.it/7uvsb

    I'm excited to try it out with students!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome link John! Thanks for sharing. If you haven't checked out John's link above, be sure you do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed making a video of our students to be played during a Mother's Day Celebration. The Tonawanda News did an article on the Mother's Day activities, and they mentioned the video. Unfortunately, we could not transfer the video to a DVD which we had planned to play during the Celebration. It was a bit of a letdown for the students and the parents, not to mention the teachers involved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved using the camera in my K class! We've made a few movies...some beter than others. We've experimented with big room, small room, cose ups vs. panning, filming in segments when possible rather than filming a whole project at one time. One thing I found was when I didn't use the camera for 6 or 7 weeks, I "forgot" some things. Isn't that the regression that our kids go through when they don't practice? That made me use the camera more frequently for more ordinary things and not use it just for projects. I'm having a little difficulty copying on to a DVD but I'll figure it out. We're now working on a Father's Day video greeting card.. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are doing a Solar Energy project and are videotaping our projects and keeping a running log so we may go back and review and assess

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have used my camera many times this year and have shared the footage with my students via our Smartboard. I am unable to import any video into Windows Movie Maker which leaves me only the movie software attached to the camera. Unfortunately, the Flip movies are not that exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yesterday's meeting was great. I learned lots of new ways to use the Flip. I especially enjoyed the beatnik poem, the Justin Beiber interviews and the kindergarden "opposites". I am looking forward to an updated Flip. Hope there is $$$$$ to purchase these.
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am making a movie for my son's class from their field trip. I have been working on it from Movie Maker, but I am having trouble downloading a song into it from my Itunes. Anyone have any suggestions???

    Thanks,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete